Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Technological advances in marine biology

As I prepared myself for shark week on the discovery channel, I was unaware on how much technology has been used to collect so mush date.  I found it very interesting how marine biologist where tagging great white sharks off of the cost of California with satellite transmitters.  After catching and releasing the sharks, the scientist  where able to track the sharks global position and patterns.  This type of technology is incredibly important to the marine biology world, since we really don't know to much on great white sharks and there behavior. When I think of GPS I normally think of onstar or map quest, but not discovery channels shark week.  It just shows you that technological advances have a much needed use in almost everything we do, and as we advance in the technological world, so will our understanding of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment